I made this quilt for Urania who will be 98 in July. She is the mother of my friend Judith.
Urania loves dogs and gardening. I originally pieced in the navy blue dog fabric, but then found a fabric with golden retrievers (like her favourite dog, Cedric), so added that as a flap on top.
When Urania unzips the zipper, bright flowers are revealed. The stretchy net is from a shower scrubber and is lovely to pull.
The doily was crocheted by my grandmother, Grandma Fett. It's hidden under some spongy shelf liner that feels really nice to touch. Urania loves travelling so there is a little Eiffel Tower key chain on top of the strawberry fabric.
I went to visit Urania today to give her the quilt.
She loved it!
She enjoyed looking at all the fabrics and fiddly bits with her daughter.
We had a lovely chat and some tea.
Jack came too, but he was more interested in the squirrels in the garden.
It's lovely to be able to make something that brings so much pleasure.
- The Ultimate Guide to Art Quilting
- Books and publications
- Quilt judging
- Get in touch
- Latest Book
- Create Whimsey article
- Nature For Absolute Beginners: Fungi 1
- Nature For Absolute Beginners: Fungi 2
- Nature For Absolute Beginners: Lichens
- Nature For Absolute Beginners: Early Spring Flowers
- Nature For Absolute Beginners: Weeds
- Nature For Absolute Beginners: Late Spring Flowers
- Nature For Absolute Beginners: Birds